Since the big reveal of the Wii U back in 2011, developers, analysts, and journalists alike have questioned the next-gen console’s practicality. The concept of cross-platforming and dual screens is one of gaming’s hot topics, yet without any Wii U titles in front of us, it’s tough to determine if developers will truly be able to utilize the system’s innovative control scheme without compromising gaming continuity. Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada for one, will be utilizing the GamePad in the most basic and simplistic way possible, as he believes it to be “distracting” to any game of the fighting genre.
Harada told Eurogamer that when Tekken Tag Tournament 2 finally launches for the Wii U, the GamePad won’t require the simultaneous attention of gamers, forcing them to quickly glance between the screens of the controller and of the TV.
“Looking at the small screen and the big screen at the same time is pretty distracting for a fighting game,” Harada said. “So we’re thinking of making it useful as a way of having shortcuts. Or, by making progressing through the game more convenient. Or by playing alone on the GamePad screen.”
Harada and Namco Bandai recently released a new character intro video giving players a glimpse of some fan-favorites that will be returning in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, though they’ll apparently continue to be fixated on just one screen even for Wii U players. For some of the possibilities and gaming opportunities the Wii U does present, we look back at the E3 2011 Wii U reveal trailer:
- Xbox One predicted to have made up ground on PS4 in August sales, Wii U sales jump
- NPD: Sony back on top with PlayStation 4 sales in January
- Analyst Predicts Lifetime Sales For PS4, Xbox One And Wii U
- Gamers Choose PS4 Over Xbox One Because Of Resolution, While Wii U Adds Fun Factor
- Minecraft Creator Mocks The Nintendo Wii U Console
- Xbox One Still Behind PS4 And Wii U In France
- The Nintendo Wii U And New 3DS Outsell The PS4 During Christmas Week In Japan
- Analyst Thinks PS4, Wii U And Xbox One Will Be The Last Ever Consoles
- PS4 Lifetime Sales Overtake Wii U In Japan; Xbox One A Very Distant Third
- PS4 leads next-gen sales for 6th consecutive month via NPD