Destiny launched about two and a half months ago now, with the first expansion for the game arriving just two weeks ago. Right out of the gate, the game sold exceptionally well to become the world’s best selling new franchise ever. While the numbers of active players have obviously tapered off a bit since then, even with the recent expansion, it has been revealed that the total number of players that have played the game since launch is nearing 13 million.
This news came courtesy of Bungie’s end of year update on their blog, which at the time of posting said 12,896,066 players had played Destiny to date. Across those nearly 13 million players, 22,932,276 Guardians have been created across 872,404,449 hours of combined playtime. The blog even had some playful facts about these that were as follows:
- In the span of time you have spent playing Destiny, the Curiosity Rover could have made the voyage to Mars more than one hundred thousand times
- If the Guardians populating Destiny occupied a single city, it would be as large as New York City and Los Angeles, combined
- Atheon has been shattered 2.4 Million times
- At least a dozen of those kills were without cheese
- Crota has been Ended 769 times, and rapidly counting
- But only once by a Fireteam of one (step it up, everyone else)
To keep up with this level of play, Bungie also revealed that they currently have more than 500 people working on maintaining and improving the Destiny experience. This is good to hear and hopefully this level of care will lead to a better second expansion for the game, after the rather disappointing The Dark Below.