Forgot password
Enter the email address you used when you joined and we'll send you instructions to reset your password.
If you used Apple or Google to create your account, this process will create a password for your existing account.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Reset password instructions sent. If you have an account with us, you will receive an email within a few minutes.
Something went wrong. Try again or contact support if the problem persists.
Photo by Getty Images

Spain launches investigation into social media giants over child safety fears, and the crackdown could reshape platforms

Spain has opened a formal investigation into X, Meta, and TikTok over allegations that the platforms are circulating AI-generated child sexual abuse material. As reported by Al Jazeera, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has instructed prosecutors to move forward with the probe, framing it as a direct response to growing concerns about child safety online.

Recommended Videos

Sanchez announced the move through his official X account, stating that the government “cannot allow this” and pledging to end what he described as the “impunity of these giants.” He said the platforms are “undermining the mental health, dignity, and rights of our children,” and criticized what he called a “digital Wild West.”

The investigation forms part of a broader effort by Spain’s government to tighten oversight of online platforms. Earlier in February, Sanchez outlined additional measures to curb online abuse, including a proposed ban on social media access for anyone under 16, a significant shift from the current minimum age of 13 on many platforms.

Spain signals a tougher stance on tech oversight

The proposed restrictions drew swift backlash from technology executives. X owner Elon Musk responded by calling Sanchez a “traitor to the people of Spain,” while Telegram founder Pavel Durov argued the measures were not safeguards but steps toward “total control” by the government. The push has also surfaced alongside age verification on Discord.

Despite industry criticism, public opinion in Spain appears to favor stricter rules. An August 2025 poll found that 82 percent of respondents supported prohibiting social media use for children younger than 14, up from 73 percent the previous year. Surveys across 30 countries also indicate broad global support for similar age-based restrictions.

Spain’s probe also comes as other governments examine AI-driven tools over sexually explicit outputs. Regulators have recently scrutinized X’s xAI chatbot Grok, adding to mounting pressure on major platforms as Europe intensifies enforcement on issues ranging from digital advertising practices to platform design features. The debate has unfolded amid Kristi Noem’s election comments.

Australia has already implemented a nationwide ban on social media for users under 16, becoming the first country to adopt such a measure. Under its rules, 10 major platforms face fines of up to $33 million if they fail to take reasonable steps to remove underage users.

By January 16, Australian officials said companies had removed approximately 4.7 million accounts identified as belonging to children, marking one of the largest coordinated enforcement actions targeting youth access to social media.


Attack of the Fanboy is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more about our Affiliate Policy
Author
Image of Saqib Soomro
Saqib Soomro
Politics & Culture Writer
Saqib Soomro is a writer covering politics, entertainment, and internet culture. He spends most of his time following trending stories, online discourse, and the moments that take over social media. He is an LLB student at the University of London. When he’s not writing, he’s usually gaming, watching anime, or digging through law cases.