Gearbox Software has listed a job vacancy for an Art Director on Gamasutra. Is this position for the long awaited Borderlands 3?
Gearbox Software noted in the vacancy that this Art Director will be working on an “an exciting unannounced project“. This person also has to “redefine visuals in the game industry” while the rest of team “pioneer and explore new aesthetic opportunities“.
The responsibilities for the Art Director job are:
- Establish game vision working alongside the Creative Director and other project leads, collaborating in all aspects of the creative process
- Maintain high aesthetic standards while crafting flow, visual storytelling, and progression
- Provide concepts, style guides, paint overs, and supporting documentation as required for clear high level visual direction & vision
- Motivate, mentor, supervise and support our team of artists with clear and consistent direction
- Assist in maintaining milestone and general art schedules with art production team
- Responsible for quality of all milestone & deliverables as they relate to the art department
It will be interesting to see if Gearbox Software truly are working on Borderlands 3 at the moment. Borderlands 2 came out in 2012 to universal acclaim from fans and critics. To tide fans over, Borderlands The Pre-Sequel was released last year.
Borderlands 3 is kind of like Fallout 4 in a number of ways. Both games are demanded by their fans, yet both of them have not been officially announced yet. Signs are that Fallout 4 will be announced at E3 2015. Will Gearbox Software follow suit and unveil Borderlands 3 at the event too?
We do know this game isn’t Battleborn as that has been announced already. Borderlands 3 is desired, but the team could also be planning something else.