Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is unique in the series as the first title that will be receiving DLC and online updates. So far there has been a day-one update, and another follow-up to patch a few things in the game. A new update, numbered 1.0.3, has become available today though, promising a few changes to your Smash Bros. experience. To get the update simply follow these directions:
- Perform a system update to ensure that you have the most up-to-date version.
- Start the Nintendo eShop on a Nintendo 3DS system that is displaying Super Smash Bros. on the HOME Menu
- This will show a list of software with update data available, from which you can select and download the update data.
- On the Super Smash Bros. Ver 1.0.3 page, select “Tap Here to Download.”
The update data will be stored on the SD card inserted in your 3DS, so make sure you have room for the file before downloading. As far as what this update contains, it is actually a little bit of a mystery. The official page only lists two things, but the wording implies much more. The changes listed are:
- The Conquest chart will no longer be displayed when Conquest Mode is active.
- Adjustments have also been made to balance the game and make for a more pleasant gaming experience.
It’s this last one that seems to indicate more than what Nintendo is saying. Balancing a fighting game is one of the biggest parts of development, so any change here could have massive implications to players. With Nintendo not going into detail, it is likely smaller changes like a few percentage points added to a character’s attack. Still, fans have been putting together lists of possible alterations they have noticed, with none having enough credibility to be shared. If you have the update, be sure to let us know in the comments if you notice anything different.