According to recently released NPD data, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has topped all games in 2011 as the best selling title of the year. The Activision shooter once again reigned supreme in 2011, with Modern Warfare 3 selling the most, and the 2010 release, Call of Duty Black Ops claiming the sixth spot.
Here’s the full top ten from 2011 according to NPD
2011 Software Sales NPD
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
2. Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
4. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
5. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC)
7. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
8. Gears of War 3 (360)
9. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
10. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
Shooting and Dancing are apparently very popular in North America. Though there were plenty of games that probably didn’t get as many sales as they deserved. Valve’s Portal 2 didn’t crack NPD’s list, but then again, they likely didn’t account for the gad zillion (non official tally) that the company sold on Steam.