Forgot password
Enter the email address you used when you joined and we'll send you instructions to reset your password.
If you used Apple or Google to create your account, this process will create a password for your existing account.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Reset password instructions sent. If you have an account with us, you will receive an email within a few minutes.
Something went wrong. Try again or contact support if the problem persists.
Image by Frank Schulenburg, CC BY-SA 4.0. Via Wikimedia Commons.

Someone buried $10,000 cash in a 150-pound chest somewhere in San Francisco. Three weeks later, the search is still going on

What seemed simple became surprisingly difficult.

A $10,000 treasure hunt that started in San Francisco is now nearly three weeks old, and the treasure has still not been found. The prize is buried inside a massive 150-pound chest, and as of Sunday, no one has claimed it. The organizers are beginning to wonder if anyone will find it at all.

Recommended Videos

According to The Independent, the hunt started on Reddit, just like last year’s search. The organizers set up a website with an old-style clue map to help people locate the chest. According to them, it is buried one foot underground, somewhere within seven miles of San Francisco’s city hall.

Last year’s hunt ended in just 11 hours, which the organizers had hoped to beat. This year, however, the search has gone on for nearly three weeks with no winner. That is a very different outcome from what they expected.

The treasure hunt has turned into a headache for the city’s parks and green spaces

The long search has caused some trouble around the city. Gardeners from the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department and rangers at Angel Island have raised concerns about damage to green areas, with some treasure hunters digging holes and leaving trash behind. In response, the organizers have confirmed that the treasure is not on Angel Island or in Francisco Park.

The organizers have also asked seekers to fill in any holes they dig and clean up their trash. They have even encouraged people to publicly call out anyone who leaves a mess behind. It is clear they want to keep the hunt fun without causing lasting damage to public spaces. San Francisco has been dealing with a number of public safety concerns in recent times, making the added strain on city resources a sensitive issue.

The Recreation and Parks Department has also spoken up, saying that permits are required before anyone can dig in city parks. The department says these permits are in place to protect park landscapes, infrastructure, and public safety. The Independent contacted the department for a comment, but has not yet received a response.

Paying for the treasure has been a financial strain on the organizers, who covered the cost themselves last year and again this year. If they cannot find a donor to help with costs, they have said this will likely be the last hunt they run. 

As they put it, “It was a questionable financial decision the first time and downright idiotic the second. There truly can’t be a third.” The city has also recently been in the spotlight for a misconduct case involving law enforcement officers, adding to the ongoing scrutiny it faces.

Despite all of this, the organizers have hinted that they might continue the hunt in the future if they can find a well-funded partner to help cover expenses. For now, the chest remains buried and unclaimed, and the search goes on.


Attack of the Fanboy is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more about our Affiliate Policy
More Stories To Read
Author
Image of Towhid Rafid
Towhid Rafid
Towhid Rafid is a content writer with 2 years of experience in the field. When he's not writing, he enjoys playing video games, watching movies, and staying updated on political news.