Mojang have revealed the patch notes for the latest update, version 1.8.5, for their hit title Minecraft.
As we reported a couple of days ago, the Mojang team were working on a fix to a security issue that a modder had found. Modder CrushedPixel had managed to locate an exploit where players could give themselves OP status on any Minecraft server. Speaking on Twitter Minecraft developer Searge announced “Minecraft 1.8.5 is now available. We recommend to update your servers as soon as possible.”
When fans asked about the process Searge went onto encourage fans to use the Minecraft issue tracker if they found similar exploits. After being pressed on the matter he responded in a direct way commenting; “Security issues should only be reported via bugtracker. In my opinion, every other public mention is irresponsible and puts people at risk.” If you know of any bugs or exploits head over to the issue tracker to report them to the development team.
Here is the list of most notable fixes as released by Mojang:
- [Bug MC-79632] – Phantom Custom Player in Scoreboard / UUIDs of non-player entities on scoreboards truncated after relog
- [Bug MC-75630] – Exploit with signs and command blocks
- [Bug MC-80478] – Better server validation for movement packets
- [Bug MC-80479] – Invalid beacon effects are not validated
- [Bug MC-80480] – Certain attribute values are not bound