GDC 2015 has just kicked off and Sony has wasted no time flaunting their new PlayStation 4 sales milestone. 20.2 million units have been sold worldwide, giving Sony some serious bragging rights at the moment. This is mainly due to the fact that the last update provided by Microsoft referencing Xbox One sales was given in late December and the figure was sitting just above 10 million, half of the competition. Where they stand now exactly is unknown, but we imagine Microsoft will be forced to fire back with their own data soon.
Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House expressed his joy in regard to the PS4’s overwhelming success and had this to say on the matter:
“We are so grateful for the enormous support from PlayStation fans worldwide, and we are truly humbled that gamers around the globe have continued to select PS4 as the best place to play.”
The PS4’s momentum is nothing short of impressive and we’re eager to see how 2015’s exclusives and (hopefully surprising) E3 announcements impact the growing gap between the competing platforms. What announcement do you believe could tip the scales back in Microsoft’s favor or secure a win for Sony this year? As usual, share your thoughts in the comments section below and be heard.
- Update (Back Online): The Lizard Squad Takes PSN Down Too?
- (Update Good News) PSN Is Down Before Scheduled Maintenance
- Xbox One ‘Will Always be Behind the PS4…Because it isn’t as Powerful’ says DICE Dev
- Xbox One predicted to have made up ground on PS4 in August sales, Wii U sales jump
- PSN Currently Experiencing Heavy Network Traffic