Shovel Knight is one of the best games to come out within the last couple of years, but even though it has been out for a while there is still more big content coming to it. Last year we got the PlayStation and Xbox versions that came with their own exclusive content, while also getting the fantastic Plague of Shadows DLC that put us in control of Plague Knight.
It’s been a while since we’ve gotten any news on the other promised free DLC, but now developer Yacht Club Games has posted a new update on the game’s Kickstarter page that fills us in. The big new update provides details on the Specter Knight campaign, showing off his moves and abilities. While he hovered in the main campaign, in the DLC he runs and jumps like the other controllable characters.
However, he’ll definitely be bringing some new things to the gameplay. Apart from his bigger size and attack range, he is also able to wall climb up most of the game’s terrain. You can click right here for more details on how he controls in action.
Pinpointing a release date for the new DLC is difficult, because they are working on all of the remaining DLC at once. Below is a breakdown of everything they’re working on:
- We’re working on two new campaigns: Specter Knight and King Knight.
- Campaigns will not be releasing at the same time. Specter Knight will be released first!
- No estimated release date for any Update quite yet.
- Similar to our last update, we’ll probably go overboard too. Hey! Maybe that’s why we’re called Yacht Club Games!
- New campaigns will come with new Feats and Challenges for the new campaign character!
- We’re also working on two new modes: Body Swap and Battle Mode!
- Just like Plague of Shadows releasing with Challenge Mode, we’re planning to release one of these new modes alongside each campaign.
- Battle Mode is being designed as a single screen, multiple controller, multiplayer mode and is currently not planned to arrive on handheld versions of the game. We’ll be sure to announce if there are any changes on that front.
- Of course, much like Plague of Shadows, all of the upcoming Shovel Knight stretch goal content will be free updates on all platforms!
They also revealed that they are collaborating with Fangamer to release a limited physical version of Shovel Knight on PlayStation Vita, which will cost $24.99 and release in early October. Below is a breakdown on what is included in the physical Vita release:
- Includes a lovingly crafted, full color, 42 page instruction manual!
- Game version 2.0 just like the original 2015 retail release. Complete with the Plague of Shadows campaign, Challenge Mode, and a very special guest: Kratos from God of War!
- This version will receive free upcoming updates just like the digital PS Vita version. Including Specter Knight’s campaign, King Knight’s campaign, and Body Swap Mode.
- Shares the same trophy/game data as the digital PS Vita release.
- Transfer your save file from other Sony platforms using the in-game Cross-Save menu!
- Region-free so you can enjoy Shovel Knight no matter where you are!
You can pre-order Shovel Knight on PlayStation Vita by clicking right here, and be sure to stay tuned for when we have more concrete information on release details for the game’s upcoming DLC.