Various users on gaming forums such as Reddit and NeoGaf have been taking a look at the code within the Titanfall beta and have found information which indicates that fourteen maps and a splitscreen mode may be available upon the games full release.
Compiled by AusGamers, the code goes on to suggest weaponry and abilities, though the main focal point is the extensive list of maps that seem to exist –
- Angel City
- Outpost 207
- Smugglers Cove
- Training Ground
In addition, various protocols refer directly to a splitscreen mode –
- cl_dumpsplithacks Dump (split screen workarounds.)
- GetSplitScreenPlayerSlot (Returns the splitscreen slot assigned to this player (if any))
- cl_disable_splitscreen_cpu_level_cfgs_in_pip (CPU Levels don’t show in Picture in Picture splitscreen)
- ss_teleport (Teleport other splitscreen player to my location)
- ss_mimic (Force user input to this split screen player Split screen users mimic base player’s Controls.)
- If enabled, use PIP instead of splitscreen. (Only works for 2 players)
- Two player split screen uses vertical split (do not set this directly, use ss_splitmode instead)
- Two player split screen mode (0 – recommended settings base on the width, 1 – horizontal, 2 – vertical (only allowed in widescreen)
- ss_splitmode….ss_enable (Enables Split Screen support.)
Whilst this information is both exciting and promising, there is no guarantee yet that these changes will take effect. It is possible that these could be old bits of code which have simply been left in during a prior brainstorming/testing session. At the very least it indicates that players can expect to see a large number of maps bundled with game and that Respawn have considered splitscreen. Time will tell whether these findings are legit and it shouldn’t be too long, with the game set for release on March 11th in North America and March 13th in Europe.
Are you happy with the map count and prospect of splitscreen? Maybe there was something else you were hoping to see? Leave a comment below with your thoughts!