Turn Spiders and Beetles into Dart Poison in Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Smart and Resourceful trailer flaunts new 'I'm a survivor' skills.
Square Enix have launched another Shadow of the Tomb Raider video, this time focusing on how Lara can bend the environment to help her in the upcoming title.
We know that survival will make up one of the core skill sets in the game, carrying over from the last two titles in the reboot series. In the trailer we see the Serpent’s Skin ability we saw in an earlier demo, allowing Lara to cover herself in mud to better blend in to the jungle environment. Now we get to see her do some other cool, survivory things.
- Eye of the Eagle – allows her to sense animals and natural resources, similar to the Animal Instincts skill from Rise of the Tomb Raider. I personally hate these ‘vision’ modes in games, but there we go.
- Owl’s Meal – gives Lara the ability to harvest dart poison from spiders and beetles. Looks like you’ll be nabbing creepy crawlies from the ground.
- Viper’s Lure – gives Lara the ability to craft lure arrows which explode in a deadly poison cloud.
- Viper’s Venom – going one further to craft poison grenades (because that’s subtle) playing to the inevitable ridiculous end game where she just runs around blowing everything and everyone up.
- Scales of the Serpent – which allows Lara to eat focus plants to improve reaction times and, wait for it, slow down time while aiming and shooting.
It’s all a bit ridiculous, kinda cool, and, done right, will be a whole lot of fun. Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider were equally silly but a boat load of fun bringing our previously buxom adventurer into the modern era with a developed back story, emotional narrative drive and tense, dark and even sinister plot devices. Shadow of the Tomb Raider finishes the rebooted trilogy and marks the twelfth entry in the franchise.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is out shortly on September 14th for PS4, Xbox One and PC. You can read our hands-on E3 impressions here.