One of the biggest knocks against the current generation of consoles from the very start was a lack of backwards compatibility whatsoever, which meant gamers had to hold onto their old systems just to keep playing old favorites. This is why it was such a nice surprise when Microsoft announced their Xbox 360 backwards compatibility program a few years later, which later extended to original Xbox games as well. The release of new backwards compatible games for Xbox One have been a fairly slow drip over the years and Microsoft has officially announced their final batch of BC releases as they look towards the future.
Microsoft may not have had any BC related reveals for Xbox One during their 2019 E3 conference yesterday, but they instead decided to drop the info via their Xbox Wire today. This includes new BC original Xbox and Xbox 360 games, as well as new Xbox One X enhanced titles as well. Starting with original Xbox games, we have the following new BC additions.
- Armed and Dangerous
- Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb
- Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent
- Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
On top of these games, there are a number of DLC packs for some of these original Xbox games and other previous releases that have been made available for free. There are even more additions for Xbox 360, which also includes Too Human as free for everyone as well.
- Asura’s Wrath
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
- Enchanted Arms
- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
- Far Cry Classic
- Far Cry Instincts Predator
- Infinite Undiscovery
- Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
- Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
- Too Human
- Unreal Tournament III
Eight more Xbox One X Enhanced games have also been added, all of which are from Rare.
- Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
- Kameo Elements of Power
- Perfect Dark
- Perfect Dark Zero
- Viva Piñata
- Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
The original Xbox and Xbox One X Enhanced titles are available now, with the Xbox 360 games being added sometime this week. It is definitely sad to see this program end for Xbox One, but we definitely have gotten a lot of classics and underrated games being added over the years that we can experience through our Xbox One.