The NPD numbers are out for August and the games industry is doing great. As we reported the PS4 held the top spot once again, with the Xbox One gaining ground. As far as software sales go the list, as reported by Venture Beat, is full of the usual mainstays and a couple of new launches:
1. Madden NFL 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
2. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
4. The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
5. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC, Wii U)
6. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, 3DS, DS, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
7. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One)
8. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
9. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
10. The Lego Movie Videogame (360, 3DS, PS3, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Vita)
The order of the consoles in parenthesis is the order of sales from most to least. This means that the PS4 versions of both Madden NFL 15 and Diablo III sold better than any other version with the PS4 version outselling Xbox One versions for every game available on both platforms except for one. Call of Duty: Ghosts performed better on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One than either Playstation console. With the heavy marketing push it is highly likely that Destiny will follow the trend and sell better on PS4 in September’s report.
Sales were up almost universally with NPD analyst Liam Callahan stating “Overall new physical retail sales increased by 8 percent in August 2014 over August 2013.” Keep in mind that the NPD only tracks new physical retail purchases, so digital downloads are not represented in these numbers. Also, the software sales chart above does not include games that were part of a hardware bundle such as the Xbox One Madden NFL 15 Bundle.