The developers for Need for Speed: Payback are trying to fix the progression system in their game. A negative point mentioned in just about every critical analysis and user review of the title, Ghost Games dipped a little too far into the freemium well with their latest release.
The good part about modern games is that they can launch with poorly structured economies and be tweaked and tuned for the better. Ghost Games is trying to do just that with the most recent progression update for Need for Speed: Payback which is trying to improve the experience by increasing the amounts of Rep and Bank in a number of areas.
The developers recently outlined the progression changes headed to NFS: Payback, who say that their goal is to make the progression, and ownership of cars a more enjoyable experience. The list below are just some of the changes headed to Need for Speed: Payback. Ghost Games does say that you’ll need to restart your game for them to come into effect.
Need for Speed Payback Progression Update
- Increased the amount of REP awarded by taking part in events.
- Increased the amount of Bank awarded by taking part in events.
- Bait crates now reward increased REP.
- Bait crates now reward increased Bank.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased REP.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased Bank.
- Air Suspension will now appear more frequently within Shipments.
- Slightly increased REP and Bank for finishing an event outside of first place.
According to the developers there are more changes in the pipeline for Payback. They say that they currently have plans to change the way that tune-up shops work with regards to the quality and level of parts that they have.
The changes to progression are certainly welcome, though it seems like Ghost Games has their work cut out for themselves.
You can check out our review for Need for Speed: Payback where we called this progression system “manipulative” and “abhorrent.” Need for Speed: Payback is out now for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.