Blizzard has just confirmed that they are adding a brand new hero and battleground into Heroes of the Storm.
Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard’s attempt to break into the MOBA, Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, genre to take on games such as Dota 2 and Legend of Legends: which can trace their roots back to a Blizzard title, Warcraft 3. Many characters from the three titles have similarities in both skills and appearance and it is because of the Defense of the Ancients Warcraft 3 mod which the three are based upon. Heroes of the Storm feels like it is a more casual approach to the MOBA genre, with Dota 2 being known for its steep learning curve.
The new Battleground is called “Tomb of the Spider Queen” and consists of a 3 lane setup. Unlike Dota 2, Heroes of the Storm features multiple maps, utilizing differing lane setups, each with unique features that team can use to their advantage.
On Tomb of the Spider Queen enemy Heroes and Spider Minions drop Gems of Power when killed. When a team has turned in 50 Gems they receive a Webweaver; to help them push into the enemies’ base. Upon summoning a Webweaver the price for that team to summon another increases by 5 Gems.
Also new to Heroes of the Storm is a Hero from the Warcraft franchise, Sylvanas Windrunner. She has a set of devastating moves that are sure to grab her kills. Conversely, there is the option to spec differently and be more of a lane pusher. Below is her announced move set:
- Withering Fire (Q): Shoot the closest enemy for 25 damage, preferring Heroes. Stores 5 charges.
- Shadow Dagger (W): Deals 10 damage, and an additional 40 damage over 2 seconds, to target unit. This effect spreads to nearby units.
- Haunting Wave (E): Send forth a wave of banshees, dealing 30 damage to all targets. Reactivate to teleport to the banshees’ location.
- Black Arrows: Basic Attacks and Abilities stun Minions, Mercenaries, and Towers.
- Wailing Arrow (R): Shoot an arrow that explodes for 200 damage and silences enemies for 2.5 seconds. Can be reactivated to detonate the arrow early.
- Possession (R): Force an enemy Minion to fight for you. It gains 20% Attack Damage and Health.
Both Sylvanas Windrunner and Tomb of the Spider Queen have already been added to Heroes of the Storm and are available for play in all game modes.