Following a tumultuous period of rumors, teases and leaks, Activision has announced that Spyro Reignited Trilogy is indeed real; finally confirming what many of us having suspected all along: Spyro is back.
The trailer itself is relatively short, but it confirms all that we need to know. The collection, as expected, will feature remastered versions the original three games: Spyro the Dragon (1998), Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! (1999), and Spyro: Year of the Dragon (2000) and will arrive for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (perhaps a Switch version will arrive in the upcoming months?) for $39.99 in Sept. 21, 2018.
Meanwhile, the gameplay and remastered graphics look quite sharp (as far as I can tell) and the trailer does a good job with the juxtaposition of the remastered and original versions of the games to emphasize just how much work was put into the Reignited Trilogy.
Here is an overview about the collection via Activision:
Spyro is back and bringing the heat in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy game collection. Now fans can rekindle the fire with the beloved video game icon like never before in the original three games that ignited a phenomenon, Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! and Spyro: Year of the Dragon. Featuring the same sick burns, same smoldering attitude and now all scaled up in stunning HD, players will enjoy this classic platformer that’s loaded with an incredible amount of new detail and improved graphics like it’s the first time. In Spyro Reignited Trilogy, gliding through the sky and flaring up bad guys is more fun on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro and the family of Xbox One devices from Microsoft, including the Xbox One X. Spyro Reignited Trilogy launches on September 21, just in time to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the beloved purple dragon. Because when there’s a realm that needs saving, there’s only one dragon to call!
Key Trilogy Features
- Unleash the Dragon – The purple dragon that stole gamers’ hearts 20 years ago is back and looking more fly than ever in scaled-up HD graphics. Explore the expansive realms, re-encounter the fiery personalities and relive the adventure in fully remastered glory.
- Massive Collection – The Spyro Reignited Trilogy lets players glide to new heights, unleash fire-breathing attacks, and explore lush environments filled with new detail bringing the Dragon and Avalar realms to life in more than 100 levels from the first three games. Each level in Spyro Reignited Trilogy is mapped faithfully from the originals, only now re-imagined with modern mechanics to give fans an excellent gaming experience.
- Gnostalgia n’ More – This is the Spyro with swagger and personality that fans remember from their childhood. Returned and remastered Orb Challenges, mini-games and more make this an epic trilogy for the diehard Spyro-maniacs!
- So Fly – The game collection is stunning, lush, and fiery! The Spyro Reignited Trilogy introduces players to a completely remastered game collection with a re-imagined cast of characters, brand-new lighting, animations, environments, and recreated cinematics—all in stunning HD.
- Fresh Controls, Original Adventure – The trilogy breaks free from the gameplay chains of the ‘90s with updated controls, dramatically silky-smooth game camera handling, and full analog stick support for added flavor in this one-of-a-kind adventure.
- Did You Hear That? – Fans of the Spyro games may recognize some familiar sounds in Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Tom Kenny, the original voice actor in Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage!, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon and fan-favorite reprises his role as the voice of Spyro. The new collection also re-imagines Stewart Copeland’s original soundtrack from the first three games.
- Spyro the Dragon – Gnasty Gnorc has returned from exile and has unleashed evil magic on the Dragon Realms, trapping the dragons in crystal and raising an army of Gnorcs. Spyro, with his friend Sparx the Dragonfly, is the only dragon left who can traverse the six Homeworlds, free the dragons, and save the day. Guide Spyro as he glides through the Dragon Realms, toasting colorful enemies with his fiery breath and encountering countless puzzles and adventures along the way.
- Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! – Spyro has been brought to the land of Avalar to defeat the evil sorcerer Ripto who has brought war to Avalar’s Homeworlds. Each Homeworld is being held captive by Ripto and his minions and it’s up to Spyro to defeat them and bring peace to Avalar’s realms. In this adventure, Spyro powerflames, supershots, and headbashes his way through enemies while completing unique challenges such as herding strange beasts, target shooting, and defeating ravenous dinosaurs.
- Spyro: Year of the Dragon – The Dragon Realms are celebrating the ‘Year of the Dragon’ when a mysterious cloaked figure emerges to steal all the Dragon Eggs. Under the spell of the evil Sorceress, an army of Rhynocs is now guarding the helpless eggs in the Forgotten Realms. With new and old friends, Spyro is on a quest to recover the lost eggs, defeat the Rhynoc army, and stop the evil Sorceress. Turn up the heat in this adventure by exploring the mysterious realms and completing outrageous challenges, such as pulling off sick tricks on a skateboard and stepping into a boxing ring.
- Publisher: Activision Publishing, Inc.
- Developer: Toys For Bob
- Platforms: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One X
- Release Date: September 21, 2018
- MSRP: $39.99; now available for pre-order
- ESRB Rating: Rating Pending
- Languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish (Castilian), Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, LATAM Spanish and Polish (subtitles)
Check out the announcement trailer below:
- This article was updated on:April 5th, 2018