Titanfall is the name of Respawn Entertainment’s next game. The founders of Infinity Ward, and the creators of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare have been cooking up something at their new digs for years, and today, it just gotten leaked in an leaked upcoming cover of Game Informer magazine. The cover has humans battling mechanized walkers, which is basically how the game was described in recent rumors.
Titanfall is a battle of Davids and Goliaths set in an always online universe
According to the rumors from back in April, Respawn’s game is an always-online multiplayer shooter, which pits heavily armed foot soldiers against giant mechs in a massive persistent battle. The rumors held some pretty specific details about the upcoming game.
According to the rumors, Titanfall is a battle of Davids and Goliaths set in an always online universe. “The Davids are heavily-armed foot soldiers. The Goliaths are the giant exosekeltons-Titans-that these soldiers can pilot,” according to Kotaku. “These Titans are big mech-style walkers that move with an agility not seen in games like Mechwarrior or Steel Battalions.”
“To keep the action balanced, game maps limit the number of Titans that can be used in a skirmish. Weapon loadouts for the foot soldiers are designed to ensure that the characters on foot can take out the Titans if need be.”
These rumors also explained that the game would be an Xbox One and Xbox 360 exclsuive, but this is nowhere to be seen on the leaked cover of Titanfall.
Update: More alleged details about the game are coming in. They are said to be from the upcoming Game Informer issue that was released on the Google Play store.
- Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn’t run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don’t specify if it would be this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft’s Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
- First person shooter
- “Mech” and ground combat
- “Mech’s” are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- If you don’t want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Player characters are called Pilots
- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the “brain”.
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. “Hit and fade” tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- There are AI enemies on the maps.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
- Source gives them 60 fps
- Rewrote aspects of it for next gen
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.