Bandai Namco has written a helpful guide for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 telling you how to import/transfer your save data from the first game.
Bandai Namco posted instructions on the official Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 website. If you have the game on Steam, PS4 and Xbox One you don’t have to do anything. Your save data should be retained in the cloud. Instructions are posted below.
“For PS3 and Xbox Xbox 360 consoles, you will need to update Dragon Ball Xenoverse and use the new option that appears in the menu.
Once this is done, your data is ready. You can just launch Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and you will be asked if you want to use your Xenoverse save data (remember to use the same Sony Entertainment Network account and Xbox Live account).”
These restrictions apply:
- Only one character can be imported (including their race, body, face, level, some costumes and some skills)
- You can only import a character before starting a new save on Xenoverse 2. Once you have started, you will not be able to import your save data. If you want to do it, you will need to erase your save and start again.
- Costumes: You can carry over five costumes items from DBXV1: Upper Body, Lower Body, Feet, Hands, Accessory
- Skills: You can carry over 4 Super Attacks, 2 Ultimate Attacks and 1 Evasive skill except for the following skills: Super Saiyan (1 & 2), Super Vegeta (1 & 2), Kaioken (including X3 and X20), Potential Unleashed, Riot Javelin, Rebellion Spear, Tyrant Lancer, Prelude to Destruction, Strike of Revelation Symphonic Destruction. These skills will be exchanged against 10 000 Zeni and 1 Time Patroller Medal each.
- In-Battle items such as Capsules and Z-Souls will be not be carried over.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 releases on October 25th, 2016 in North America and is available for the PC, PS4 and Xbox One.
Update: These instructions are for those that owned Dragon Ball Xenoverse 1 on PS3 and Xbox 360 and want to import your characters to PS4 and Xbox One respectively to Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
If you owned Dragon Ball Xenoverse 1 on PS4, Xbox One or Steam, you may not have to do anything as the cloud would have imported your character directly to Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
The French website had clearer instructions. They posted this that was not in the English website.
For players on STEAM, PS4 and Xbox One, you have nothing to do: if your backup data is still on your computer (or the Steam cloud), they will be directly imported into the new game.
Also, you cannot import the character cross platform. For example, you cannot import the character from Xbox One to PS4 or something outside of the console/platform family.
You may also have to be connected online for it to work. Offline save data to import your character to the new game may not work.
Hopefully this will avoid any confusion. If you are still having trouble, contact Bandai Namco via Twitter or Facebook.