The big news that Telltale Games was teasing ended up being even bigger than many imagined. Telltale Games and Mojang will be teaming up for Minecraft: Story Mode. This will be a new game created by Telltale in collaboration with Minecraft creator Mojang. Like previous games from the developer, it will be an episodic release, with episodes spaced out by weeks or months. While this will feature a story, it is apparently not the official story for the main character of Minecraft, Steve. Also, it will not go into great detail explaining the world of Minecraft, most likely existing as a side adventure with little overall context within the greater world.
The game was announced very creatively via a game called Info Quest II, which is playable on Mojang’s website. You can explore the game a bit to gain info about Minecraft: Story Mode, or just get the bullet point info sheet. The bullet points read:
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
- Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.
Minecraft: Story Mode will begin releasing in early 2015 on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.
- This article was updated on February 20th, 2018