Once so many Wii U games started getting ported to the Switch, many assumed that 2015’s Super Mario Maker would eventually get ported, rather than spawning an entirely new sequel. The first game already had so much content, it seemed hard to believe that there could still be so much left to add that a whole new game would be justified. Well, as it turns out, there was a whole lot more to add, and it will all be available in the new game.
In a recent Super Mario Maker 2 Direct presentation, Nintendo revealed a ton of new features coming to the game, not even including the various new modes. In this sequel, players will be able to utilize the following when creating stages:
- As previously, revealed, Super Mario Maker 2 will allow players to utilize slopes. Both gentle and steeper slopes will be available.
- Super Mario Bros. 3‘s Angry Sun can be an obstacle.
- Players can use Snake Blocks, groups of blocks that move along a set path. Both fast and slower Snake Blocks will be available.
- On/Off Switches can be used to switch between red and blue blocks being in use at a particular time. On/Off Switches can also be used to change tracks and reverse the direction of conveyer belts.
- Seesaws and Swinging Claws can be used for trickier platforming gameplay.
- Water and lava levels will be customizable, allowing players to set just how much of their level will be flooded.
- How exactly an auto-scroller level will scroll can be customized, so it doesn’t have to be just left to right, but can also move up and down. How fast or slow the level scrolls can also be determined.
- Players will be able to make sub-areas that scroll completely vertically.
- Players can stop the screen from scrolling completely, in order to hide nearby areas.
- Both normal and homing Banzai Bills will be usable.
- A new item called the Dry Bones Shell will be introduced in Super Mario Maker 2. This item will allow players to hop on lava and can also turn players invincible for a moment at the cost of mobility.
- Big Coins will be available, rewarding players with 10 Coins, 30 Coins, or 50 Coins once obtained.
- A bunch of new sound effects will be available.
- Players will be able to set clear conditions for their levels, such as collecting a certain amount of coins or defeating a certain number of enemies.
- Twisters, Icicles, diagonal conveyer belts, red Yoshis, and parachutes will all become usable.
- Boom Boom is here.