Pokémon‘s Legendary year continues in May with the Generation VI Legendaries Xerneas and Yveltal being distributed. From May 4 through May 27, Pokémon Sun and Ultra Sun players will have the chance to receive the Dark/Flying-type Yveltal, while Moon and Ultra Moon players will be able to attain the Fairy-type Xerneas.
To receive one of these Kalos Legendaries, you’ll first have to go to a participating GameStop between May 4 and 27 and receive a download code for one of these Legendaries. Once you have your code, follow these steps:
- Start up your Sun, Ultra Sun, Moon or Ultra Moon game and select “Mystery Gift” from the main menu instead of “Continue.”
- From the Mystery Gift menu, select “Receive Gift.”
- Select “Get with Code/Password,” then, when asked about connecting to the internet, select “Yes” and then “Yes” again.
- Enter the code you received from GameStop.
- Your game will receive Yveltal or Xerneas.
- Now “Continue” your game and talk to the delivery man in the orange and blue shirt, who you can find in any Pokémon Center. He will give you your Yveltal or Xerneas.
If you’re playing Pokémon Sun, the Yveltal you receive will be on level 60 and know the moves Oblivion Wing, Dark Pulse, Phantom Force and Psychic, whereas if you’re playing Ultra Sun, the Yveltal you receive will be on level 100, be holding a Gold Bottle Cap and know the moves Oblivion Wing, Dark Pulse, Heat Wave and Tailwind. If you’re playing Moon, the Xerneas you receive will be on level 60 and know the moves Oblivion Wing (though something tells me this is a typo on the May Legendary distribution site and that this move will actually be Geomancy), Horn Leech, Night Slash and Moon Blast, whereas Ultra Moon players will receive an Xerneas on level 100, holding a Gold Bottle Cap and knowing the moves Geomancy, Focus Blast, Grass Knot and Moon Blast.
If you live outside of the United States, it is likely that you’ll have to get your code from a store other than GameStop depending on your region. Go to the official Legendary Pokémon distribution site (pokemonlegendary.com) to find out what store in your country will be distributing these Legendary codes. Once you get your code from whatever store is distributing them in your area, all the steps I listed above to actually attain the Legendary apply. If you’ve yet to catch every other Legendary in Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, you can learn how to by referring to our Legendary guide.