Field Research Tasks are quests available from spinning Pokéstops in Pokémon GO. They reward the player with an item or an encounter with a Pokémon, as well as a daily stamp; collect 7 stamps and trainers can obtain the ‘Research Breakthrough’ reward. In October, the Research Breakthrough features Yamask, which now has a chance to be shiny!
It’s worth noting that Field Research given out by Pokéstops is the same for everybody until the day resets, so members of your local community can tip you off on where certain tasks are. The exception is if you currently have a Scan Task, in which all tasks will be the same for everyone else that also has a Scan Task. Don’t forget to check out our guide on how to get Zarude in Pokémon GO, so you can seek out the best tasks to aid you in obtaining the Mythical Pokémon.
Field Research changes every month and October 2021 is no exception. Here are all of the October 2021 Field Research Tasks and their rewards in Pokémon GO.
October 2021 Field Research Tasks and Rewards in Pokémon GO
* indicates that the Pokémon has a chance to be shiny.
- Catch 5 Pokémon – Gastly*
- Catch 7 Pokémon – Magikarp*
- Catch a Dragon-type Pokémon – Dratini* / Bagon*
- Catch 18 Ghost-type Pokémon – Spiritomb*
- Catch 18 Dark-type Pokémon – Spiritomb*
- Catch 5 Pokémon with Weather Boost – Vulpix* / Pollywag* / Snover* / Hippopotas
- Make 5 Nice Throws – Dunsparce*
- Make 3 Nice Throws in a row – Houndour*
- Make 3 Great Throws – Snubbull* / Lileep* / Anorith*
- Make 3 Great Throws in a row – Onix*
- Make 5 Great Curveball Throws in a row – Spinda (Pattern #1)*
- Make 2 Excellent Throws – Alolan Grimer*
- Make 3 Excellent Throws in a row – Gible*
- Use 3 Pinap Berries while catching Pokémon – Hoothoot
- Defeat 3 Team GO Rocket Grunts – Scyther*
- Win a Trainer Battle in the GO Battle League – Karrablast
- Win a raid – Litwick
- Win a level 3 or higher raid – Kabuto* / Omanyte*
- Win 5 Raids – Aerodactyl*
- Hatch an Egg – Mantine / Pinsir*
- Hatch 2 Eggs – Beldum*
- Evolve a Pokémon – Eevee*
- Power up Pokémon 3 times – Bulbasaur* / Charmander* / Squirtle*
- Power up Pokémon 5 times – Chikorita* / Cyndaquil* / Totodile*
- Power up Pokémon 7 times – Treeko* / Torchic* / Mudkip*
- Earn 2 Candies walking with your buddy – Bunnelby*
- Earn 3 Candies walking with your buddy – Sableye* / Stunfisk
- Earn 3 hearts with your buddy – Poochyena*
- Trade a Pokémon – Dwebble*
- Send a Gift to a friend – Spinarak
- Spin 3 PokéStops or Gyms – Sudowoodo*
- Spin 5 PokéStops or Gyms – Ralts*
- Take a snapshot of a wild Pokémon – Yanma* / Murkrow* / Hoppip
- Take 2 snapshots of wild Ghost-type Pokémon – Shuppet*
- Trade a Pokémon – Dwebble*
Best October 2021 Field Research Tasks
Catch 18 Dark-type Pokémon and Catch 18 Ghost-type Pokémon are definitely the best Field Research Tasks this month. They both award Spiritomb, which only ever appears in October, doesn’t appear in the wild and can’t be hatched from eggs. According to The Silph Road, Spiritomb is in the ‘Permaboost’ category for shiny rates, which means it’s roughly a 1-in-64 chance for it to be shiny. This is a much higher chance than the base shiny rate, which is around 1-in-500.
Pokemon GO is available now on mobile devices.