Death Stranding Director’s Cut is finally here on PS5, and players can transfer their PS4 save data to the new version to continue their journey where they left off. The new PS5-exclusive upgrades featured in the Director’s Cut give players who didn’t finish the game on PS4 a great reason to come back, and those who finished Sam’s story in 2019 can come back and play through the new story content with their completed save data. Transferring your save data is a relatively straightforward process, but there are a few hoops you have to jump through first. Here’s how to how to transfer your save file from Death Stranding on PS4 to Death Stranding Director’s Cut on PS5.
How to Transfer Death Stranding Save Data to Director’s Cut
To transfer your Death Stranding save data, boot up the game on PS4. You will have to install the latest update which added save data transfer functionality. Start the game and then press the Options button to open the cuff link menu. Press left on the D-Pad to open the settings menu and select System. Then, choose Export Save Data.
In order to export your save data, you have to be at a delivery terminal. Any delivery terminal will do, so just head to the nearest distribution center. You don’t have to interact with the delivery terminal, all you need to do is stand near it. If you’re not near a delivery terminal, then the Export Save Data option will be greyed out.
Once you select Export Save Data, you’ll see a screen with a long list detailing what will and what won’t carry over. Click the OK option to continue. Your save data will be exported and ready to download on PS5. At this point, just boot up Death Stranding Director’s Cut on PS5 and select Load Game (PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5) on the main menu. This will pull your save data from the cloud and allow you to pick up where you left off.
What Carries Over When Transferring Death Stranding Save Data From PS4 to PS5?
Here’s what does and doesn’t carry over when you transfer your Death Stranding save file:
- Cargo carried by Sam or placed in a Private Locker will be kept
- Any vehicles stored in a garage will be kept
- Built structures like signs and cairns will redeploy when you approach them
- Rewards, mail, and interviews will be kept
- Memory chips will be kept
- Paths that you have created will be kept but not shared with other players
- Roads will be kept
- Material amounts donated to facilities will be kept
- Trophies will be kept unless unlock conditions have changed and you don’t meet the new criteria
Everything Lost When Transferring Death Stranding Save Data From PS4 to PS5
You’ll lose the following things when you transfer your save from PS4 to PS5:
- Any active orders or supply requests will be lost
- Shared online content such as structures and vehicles will be replaced with new options from a new server
- Cargo in the world will be lost
- Cargo in postboxes or safe houses that could be rebuilt will be lost
- Vehicles in the world or in safe houses that could not be rebuilt will be lost
- Structures that can’t be placed due to terrain changes will be lost
- MULEs, BTs, and other enemies will return to their original state and all corpses will be removed from the world
- Most Voidout craters will disappear and the terrain will reset, but some craters will still remain
- Information about other players from Bridge Links and Strand Contracts will be lost
- Adjusted options will not carry over
Most important things will carry over from PS4 to PS5, but active missions won’t transfer between the two platforms. Anything that cannot be built due to terrain changes or server issues will be lost as well. If you have something that you really want to keep, make sure you place it in a Private Locker just in case.
Death Stranding Director’s Cut is available now on PS5.