Update 17.20 is nearly here for Fortnite, and here’s the full list of changes and fixes coming with this patch. This update was expected to release earlier this month, so many players are wondering what new features and locations this patch contains. Thankfully, it seems like the delay was worth it because version 17.20 is shaping up to be one of the most exciting patches this season. There could be a brand-new POI, an existing location could see some major changes, and we’re finally getting a quality of life feature that many have been asking for. Here’s everything we know about Fortnite v17.20.
Fortnite 17.20 Update Release Time
Update 17.20 will be released for Fortnite at 12 AM PT/3 AM ET on Tuesday, July 20. Fortnite services will be disabled approximately 30 minutes prior to the update’s release at 11:30 PM PT/2:30 AM ET. This is an earlier time than usual for downtime. The update’s file size is still unknown, but most Fortnite patches only weigh in at a few GB. The previous Fortnite patch was roughly 2 GB, so expect a similar download size this time.
New Features Coming in 17.20
There are a ton of new features coming to Fortnite in the 17.20 update. Only a few of them have been explicitly confirmed by Epic Games, but thanks to official teasers and community data miners, we already have a pretty good idea of what’s coming. Here’s what you can expect in Fortnite v17.20:
- Preferred Item Slots (Confirmed)
- New NPC: Vorian Scout
- Coral Castle Destruction
- New Underground POI
- Alien Ground Troops
Heads up Saucers, this one’s a doozy!
Just intercepted an IO call that Alien ground troops have begun mobilizing west.
Islanders should be on high alert. #HotSaucersLeaks
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) July 5, 2021
Preferred Item Slots
The Alien invasion is heating up, and the map will change in some interesting ways with the launch of update 17.20. The only feature that is confirmed for this patch is preferred items slots, though, but that’s still a useful addition. This allows players to set which inventory slot that they want items to go into. If you always carry your shotgun in the first inventory slot, then you can set it to always put a shotgun in that slot no matter what. The same goes for all weapon types, throwables, and healing items. This should speed up looting and make the early game a bit less frustrating.
New Underground POI
The new characters and location changes are the most interesting things about this patch, however. A new underground POI could be added to the map in 17.20. Epic Games posted two teaser images earlier this month: one depicting large crop circles and the other showing a UFO in an underground cavern. We’ve already seen crop circles on the map before, but an underground UFO could hint at an all-new location coming in this update. It’s not confirmed, but teaser images usually showcase some form of new content.
Alien Ground Troops and the Vorian Scout NPC
The teaser also came with the text “Just intercepted an IO call that Alien ground troops have begun mobilizing west.” The Vorian Scout NPC is confirmed to be coming to the game at some point, and 17.20 seems like the right time to introduce them.
Also, the teaser text basically confirms that Alien ground troops will start appearing on the island as hostile NPCs like the IO Guards. It’s unclear where they’ll spawn or how often they’ll appear, but you should expect to see more hostile Aliens on the map in addition to Trespassers in UFOs.
The Destruction of Coral Castle
Finally, we know that the Aliens will begin to abduct Coral Castle at some point during Season 7 thanks to data mined information, and it looks like the destruction of Coral Castle will begin in 17.20. According to known leaker HYPEX, the Mothership will begin to take chunks of Coral Castle, leaving a crater where the IO will set up camp. Kymera will also appear in the ruins of Coral Castle as an NPC armed with an Exotic Burst Pulse Rifle.
Upcoming Map Changes:
– Alien Parasites will takeover: Lazy Lake, Weeping Woods & Holly Hedges.
– Coral Castle will be abducted by the Mothership in chunks which will leave a crater where the IO will have their camp then Kymera will appear there with an exotic Burst Pulse Rifle.
— HYPEX (@HYPEX) June 26, 2021
Perhaps the rumored underground POI will replace Coral Castle in Fortnite version 17.20? Regardless of what happens, let’s be real here. Coral Castle will not be missed. Sure, the location does have its fans, but many will agree that it has overstayed its welcome and needs something to spice the area up.
Fortnite v17.20 Patch Notes
These are the bug fixes and adjustments confirmed to be coming in version 17.20 according to the official Fortnite Trello board.
- The button for Arena Division/tournament details is currently unresponsive on controller.
- We’re aware the button for Arena Division/tournament details is currently unresponsive on controller. We’re working on a fix for this issue.
- ‘Hold Inventory button’ shortcut for accessing the Crafting menu is not working.
- The ‘Hold Inventory button’ shortcut for the Crafting menu simply leads to the Inventory menu instead of the Crafting menu.
- Epic Chests may sometimes not provide any weapons in Arena.
- We’re aware that sometimes players may search an Epic Chest in Arena and receive no weapon. We’re investigating the issue.
- Unable to fish while inside certain vehicles.
- We’re aware of an issue preventing players from using a Fishing Rod while in the passenger seat of a Motorboat or in the pick-up bed of an OG Bear truck.
- Props drive vehicles erratically.
- Driving a vehicle while Disguised as a Prop causes the vehicle to drive erratically.
- Cannot open Cosmic Chest if a player left the team.
- If a player leaves the team during a match, the team will be unable to open up a Cosmic Chest in the match.
- “Bars” showing up as 0 in the Lobby upon opening the game.
- Upon opening the game, players’ Bar total will show up as 0 in the Lobby. This issue is visual only: players still have all of their Bars.
- Cosmic Chest timers may remain on screen if a Bounty is poached.
- Players may continue to see the Cosmic Chest timer at 0:00 if they have an active Bounty that is poached by an enemy player while they are opening the chest.
- Fire temporarily disabled in Battle Lab.
- To address a stability issue, fire has been temporarily disabled in Battle Lab.
- Player can encounter infinite loading screen when flying out of Island.
- We’re investigating an issue that is causing players to encounter infinite loading screen when flying out of the Island.
Save the World
- Saurian Vigor perk stops working after respawn
- The Saurian Vigor Perk (Restores Health every 5 seconds) would stop working after a player respawned.
- Xbox players being exited from party when returning to Lobby.
- Xbox players may be exited from their party when returning to the Lobby. (Please note that affected players are not blocked from reuniting with the party.)
- New items automatically equipped after being picked up.
- New items being picked up will be automatically equipped under some circumstances.
- Unable to perform Last Forever Emote.
- Players may be unable to perform the Last Forever Emote after selecting it.
- Difficulty scrolling through player list in Voice Chat tab on controller.
- Players on controller may have difficulty scrolling through the player list in the Voice Chat tab if the player list is long.
- Xbox players may be unable to re-subscribe to Fortnite Crew.
- Xbox players may be unable to re-subscribe to the Fortnite Crew due to any outstanding balances on the account. The UI may catch players in a loop and will need to be resolved via Xbox’s account management website.
Fortnite is available now on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and mobile devices.