Genius Invokation TCG, Genshin Impact‘s in-game Trading Card Game, is set to debut as part of the game’s version 3.3. But how does the card game work, and more importantly, how will you be able to get new cards? Now to answer that and more, as well as to help all who, like Cyno, cannot stop thinking about the game, here’s how to play and get new Genius Invokation TCG cards.
Genshin Impact Genius Invokation TCG: How to Play and Get New Cards
The Basics of Genius Invokation TCG
In Genius Invokation TCG, which can be played against in-game characters, NPCs, and other players online, your main objective is to defeat all of your opponent’s Character Cards, by making use of your own set of Character and Action Cards. Once all of either player’s Character Cards are defeated, the game will end.
To play the game, you must make use of a deck featuring 3 Character Cards and 30 Action cards, divided into Equipment, Event, and Support. Each Character Card will have a set number of Health Points, which will diminish after taking an attack. You can check out a brief overview of each card type below:
- Character Cards: The flagships of any deck. Can deal damage by performing actions and can make use of Normal Attacks, Elemental Skills, and Elemental Bursts. Among the Character cards in the field, you may only select one of them as your active character. Switching Character Cards will cost Elemental Dice.
- After performing attacks (Normal/ Elemental Skill), your character card will gain energy, which can then be expended, together with a set number of Elemental Dice, in order to perform its Elemental Burst. It’s important to point out that, just like in the main game, many Elemental Skills will either imbue or boost a card’s normal attack damage.
- Many character cards, such as Fischl, will be able to summon cards to the field. All summoned cards will be placed in the game’s summon zone, a maximum of 4 summons can coexist.
- Equipment Cards: Are divided into Weapon and Artifact type cards. Both can then be equipped to your Character Cards to increase their attributes and add effects.
- Event Cards: Can be used to provide field buffs as well as passives like allowing you to draw cards.
- Support Cards: Can be played in your support zone and provide continuous over-time effects and buffs. A maximum of 4 Support Cards can be active in the field at the same time.
At the beginning of each match of the turn-based game, each player will draw 5 cards from their deck, select their starting active Character Card and roll their set of eight Elemental Dice. During the match, on the other hand, you will be able to use Character Card skills as well as play cards from your hand by expending a set number of Elemental Dice. You will also be able to pay one Elemental Dice to switch your active Character Card or discard cards to change the elements of your dice. At the beginning of each subsequent round, each player will also be able to draw 2 cards from their decks.
It’s important to point out that, although you can perform as many fast actions as you wish, your turn will automatically end once you expend Elemental Dice to perform Character Card attacks or Switch Active Cards.
Elemental Dice, Explained
As we mentioned above, at the start of each round, both players will be able to roll their set of eight Elemental Dice, all of which will have eight different sides, each representing an element (Pyro, Hydro, Electro, Geo, Anemo, Cryo, Dendro, and Omni). The number of dice of each element will then dictate the type of attack as well as the number of actions you will be able to perform during the round.
How Elemental Reactions Work
Just like in the game, hitting enemy cards with Elemental Attacks or effects, such as a Character Card’s Elemental Skill or Burst, will imbue them with the element in question. Once that happens, you just need to attack with another type of element in order to deal increased amounts of damage through a reaction.
How to Get New Genius Invokation TCG Cards in Genshin Impact
Although you can play Genius Invokation TCG against both NPCs and other players, all the cards and their skins can be acquired by either completing in-game tasks, such as increasing your Player Level, or by expending Lucky Coins on the shop. You can also earn Character Cards by inviting and defeating the said playable characters through the Invitation Board.
It’s important to point out that none of the available cards will be locked behind any kind of paywall as the Lucky Coins will be available as rewards for completing duels and other Genius Invokation TCG tasks.
Genshin Impact is currently available for PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and mobile devices.
- This article was updated on December 5th, 2022