A new month means it’s probably time to take on the Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni in Pokémon GO. He’s been cycling through the three Legendary birds for a while and has a bit of a makeup event to start off June 2021. Yes, Shadow Zapdos is back as your reward for defeating Giovanni at the start of this month, with a surprise coming up on the 17th, it seems. But to catch this Legendary electric reward, you need to beat him. To help you do that here’s how to find and beat Giovanni, the Team GO Rocket Boss in Pokémon GO for June 2021.
How to Find the Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni
Before you can take on Giovanni and his team of powerful Pokémon you first need to find him. This requires the use of an active and equipped Super Rocket Radar. There have been a bunch of different ways to get one recently, and will likely be more in June 2021. However you get one, once you’re ready to take on the Team GO Rocket Boss just equip it and you will start seeing him or his minions appear at Poké Stops or in Rocket Balloons.
Using the radar itself will give you a few Stops to check out that might contain Giovanni, or one of his grunts instead. Check them out or just wait for a Balloon to float by to see if Giovanni is the active boss there. Once you find him, you can take on his powerful team and hopefully catch your Shadow Zapdos, or whatever replaces it on the 17th. So just explore the area, check for balloons, and use the radar and you’ll find the Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni soon enough. Once you do, you have to beat him to get the rewards, so here’s how to do that.
How to Beat Giovanni in June 2021
Giovanni’s team hasn’t changed much over the last few months and June 2021 is no exception. Shadow Zapdos is the only real alteration, but expect more changes to come in the middle of the month. Here’s the best counters against Giovanni’s team. Be sure to use the same tips we give for beating Team GO Rocket Leaders here, including swapping Pokémon immediately once the battle begins, and using quick Charged Attacks to burn off his shields.
Persion will kick things off for Giovanni in June 2021, just like previous months.
- Tyranitar with Smack Down and Crunch
- Lucario with Counter and Aura Sphere
- Conkeldurr with Counter and Dynamic Punch
- Machamp with Counter and Dynamic Punch
- Breloom with Counter and Dynamic Punch
In the second round you will fight either Kangaskhan, Nidoking, or Garchomp.
- Togekiss with Charm and Ancient Power
- Dragonite with Dragon Breath and Dragon Claw
- Gyarados with Dragon Breath and Crunch
- Landorus (Therian) with Mud Shot and Earthquake
- Lugia with Extrasensory and Sky Attack
- Empoleon with Waterfall and Hydro Cannon
- Kyogre with Waterfall and Surf
- Excadrill with Mud Shot and Drill Run
- Jirachi with Confusion and Doom Desire
- Gyarados with Waterfall and Aqua Tail
- Togekiss with Charm and Dazzling Gleam
- Gardevoir with Charm and Dazzling Gleam
- Alolan Ninetails with Powder Snow and Weather Ball (Ice)
- Sylveon with Charm and Moonblast
- Granbull with Charm and Play Rough
Giovanni will use Shadow Zapdos as his third Pokémon from June 1st until the 17th. He will then switch to Shadow Ho-Oh. Here’s the best counters against both Shadow Ho-Oh and Shadow Zapdos.
Shadow Ho-Oh Counters
- Reshiram with Dragon Breath and Stone Edge
- Landorus (Therian) with Rock Throw and Rock Slide
- Melmetal with Thunder Shock and Rock Slide
- Thundurus (Therian) with Volt Switch and Thunder
- Regirock with Lock-On and Stone Edge
Shadow Zapdos Counters
- Rhyperior with Smack Down and Rock Wrecker
- Garchomp with Dragon Tail and Outrage
- Zekrom with Dragon Breath and Wild Charge
- Mamoswine with Powder Snow and Avalanche
- Excadrill with Mud Shot and Rock Slide
And that’s how to find and beat Giovanni in Pokémon GO for June 2021.
- This article was updated on:June 16th, 2021