Today (May 15), Nintendo held a Direct presentation dedicated entirely to Super Mario Maker 2 ahead of its June 28 release. There was quite a lot revealed in the Direct’s seventeen minutes, so here’s all the major information. If a specific point is of particular interest to you, you can click on the link provided (where applicable) to learn more about that reveal. If you’d rather watch the full Super Mario Maker 2 Direct presentation for yourself, you can find the full video at the bottom of this article.
- The Direct started off by explaining the basics of Super Mario Maker, including setting blocks and enemies and a number of other features returning from the first game.
- A number of new building features, such as On/Off Switches and rising water levels, were revealed.
- The game will feature a Story Mode, which will include more than a hundred stages.
- New Course Themes, including Desert, Snow, Forest, and Sky, will be available.
- Players will have the option to create Night levels, which will introduce unusual mechanics, depending on the Theme of your level.
- Super Mario 3D World will be added as its own Style.
- Online and local multiplayer modes will be available.
- Fans can pre-order Super Mario Maker 2 in a bundle that includes a year of Nintendo Switch Online membership for $69.99 (the game on its own costs $59.99 and a year of NSO on its own costs $19.99).
- Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers offer NSO members a way to buy digital Switch games for a bit cheaper than normal.
- As part of Nintendo’s E3 presence, they will be holding the Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational 2019 on June 8.
You can watch the full Direct presentation below: