Nintendo Switch and PS4 Show Strength in the First Week of Sales of 2018 in Japan
Nintendo Switch and PS4 enter the new year unsurprisingly as the top 2 gaming platforms in Japan, with the hybrid console being the clear leader, as it was at the end of 2017, but Sony’s platform also showing that it can also pull healthy figures. PS4 in particular has had a surge in sales this week, which is normal considering that the first week of the year is traditionally favorable to PlayStation platforms, as their audience is usually people who use the money they receive in the new year in purchasing the consoles or content related.
All in all, Nintendo 3DS continues to sell at a high rate, although the lack of releases this 2018 makes likely that the platform will see a considerable drop this year, and the same can be said for the PlayStation Vita. As a curiosity, Media Create has stopped reporting sales numbers for Wii U and PS3, which had a merely testimonial presence in the charts during 2017. Perhaps that will make the Xbox One numbers look even worse, as it will be the sole console to sell under 1.000 units a week for the foreseeable future. In fact, the Xbox One X only sold 9 consoles in the whole country this week.
As for the software charts, Nintendo Switch begins the year in full force occupying most of the positions of the list, while PS4 contemplates a worrysome and ironic situation as the software sales don’t match with the high numbers of hardware. But of course, the console’s stunning numbers in other territories mean that it will get a constant stream of new games also in Japan, and new releases like Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT and especially Monster Hunter: World could prove to be big hits for the console.
01. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 117.840 / 1.882.709 (+22%)
02. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey – 110.816 / 1.508.148 (+5%)
03. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 82.806 / 1.215.599 (-5%)
04. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon – 69.355 / 1.477.015 (+12%)
05. [3DS] Mario Party: The Top 100 – 51.818 / 103.999 (-1%)
06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters 2: Hihou Legend Banbarayaa – Sword / Magnum – 34.565 / 465.985 (-9%)
07. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 31.761 / 802.811 (-4%)
08. [NSW] Arms – 25.374 / 339.328 (+54%)
09. [NSW] 1-2-Switch – 21.104 / 371.033 (-1%)
10. [PS4] Earth Defense Force 5 – 19.948 / 201.414 (+21%)
11. [3DS] Kirby Battle Royale – 14.561 / 139.564 (+50%)
12. [PS4] Call of Duty: WWII – 13.305 / 362.009 (+31%)
13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo – 13.208 / 357.703 (+66%)
14. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX – 12.553 / 204.038 (-8%)
15. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – 11.483 / 168.200 (-10%)
16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition – 9.517 / 1.273.777
17. [NSW] Sumikko Gurashi: Sumikko Park e Youkoso – 9.505 / 47.989
18. [NSW] Snipperclips Plus: Cut it Out, Together! – 9.290 / 43.909 (+26%)
19. [NSW] FIFA 18 – 8.915 / 71.698 (-2%)
20. [3DS] Style Savvy: Styling Star – 8.639 / 119.777
01. Nintendo Switch – 146.006
02. PlayStation 4 – 91.683
03. Nintendo 3DS – 45.737
04. PlayStation Vita – 11.929
05. Xbox One – 199
Super Bomberman R Heading To PS4, Xbox One And PC With Platform-Exclusive Characters
Konami has announced that Super Bomberman R is no longer a Nintendo Switch exclusive, and will be coming to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in June.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Officially Announced
After tons of leaks and speculations, it was finally officially revealed that the next Tomb Raider game will be called Shadow of the Tomb Raider and be available this fall.
The Witcher’s Geralt Confirmed As SoulCalibur 6’s ‘First’ Guest Character
Bandai Namco has confirmed what fans have more or less taken as fact for the past month: The Witcher's Geralt will be joining the roster of SoulCalibur 6.
Yakuza 6: The Song Of Life Review
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life brings series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu's story to a close. Unfortunately, it's not quite the send off that he deserved.
Next Monster Hunter: World Update Adds Deviljho, Mega Man Weapon, and More
The first free update of Monster Hunter: World will add one of the toughest enemies in the game, as well as a spring-themed festival that will let players to craft new gear inspired on Mega Man and more.