Everything Announced in the November 2018 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct
New characters, Spirits mode, and more was revealed.
Today (November 1), the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct before the game’s launch was held, which featured forty minutes of reveals and details. In case you don’t want to take the time to sit through the entire video, here’s a list of all the important announcements made during it. There will be links provided where applicable to articles with more information if a specific announcement holds more interest for you. For those who do want to watch the entire Direct, you can find the video at the bottom of this article.
- Ken Masters from Street Fighter and Incineroar from Pokémon Sun and Moon were revealed as the last playable characters in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate base roster. Ken will be an Echo Fighter of Ryu.
- The eight original Super Smash Bros. characters will be the only ones available when you first start the game, with the rest needing to be unlocked.
- Every playable fighter in the game will have an amiibo.
- The new Spirits mode was revealed and detailed.
- The way Super Smash Bros. Ultimate determines online matchmaking will be different from previous entries in the series.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will make use of the Switch Online app.
- A number of new Assist Trophies were revealed, including Golden Sun‘s Isaac.
- Various miscellaneous features, such as Help and Options, as well as a number of returning modes, were shown off.
- New Mii Fighter outfit sets were revealed, including a Yiga Clan set, a Splatoon 2 set, a Ribbon Girl set, a Chibi Robo set, a Ray MkIII set, and a Toy-Con set.
- More playable fighters will be added to the game via paid DLC.
- Those who buy the DLC Fighters Pass will receive a Mii Fighter outfit set based off of Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
- Piranha Plant will be added as a playable fighter a couple of months after launch as a free bonus for a limited time.
- The game’s story mode, called World of Light, was revealed.